Industrial Heritage Online

Industrial Heritage Online

Greenwood's Machine Warehouse

Description:-
Purpose-built machine warehouse. Site now used as part of a car park.

History:-
This machine warehouse was completed about 1904 for Greenwood Brothers, seemingly acquired and extended by J. Stirk & Sons Ltd. prior to 1930, and used by them in connection with a nearby machine tool warehouse they also occupied in Horton Street (WYK784). The management of the Stirk business was taken out of the family control during the Second World War and their Halifax premises became shared with the Coventry Machine Tool Co. following the Coventry blitz, ultimately coming into their ownership after the conflict. Eventually, as part of the Wickman group, the Halifax business was closed in 1981, and the Horton Street premises demolished to make way for the Pennine shopping development.

References:-
E. Webster, From Rule of Thumb to CNC, Halifax, privately published, 1997, pp. 73-5.


No previous comments have been made for this entry

Email comments

Key Words :- engineering warehouse
Linked Sites :-
Address :- New Road, off, Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX1 1QY
Grid Ref :- SE 09536 24899
Co-ordinates :- Lat - 53.720415 , Long - -1.856971
Local Authority :- Calderdale Council
Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - West Riding
Site Condition :- Site redeveloped to industrial / commercial use
Site Status :- Site demolished or no longer extant
Site Dates :- 1904 - mid 1980s