Industrial History Online

Britannia Ironworks

Key Words :- ironworks

Address :- 85 East Road, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire
Grid Ref :- TL 46132 58724
Co-ordinates :- Lat 52.207369 , Long 0.137173
Local Authority :- Cambridge City Council
Pre 1974 County :- Cambridgeshire
Site Dates :- c1890 - 2000

Description and History of Site:-
19th-century foundry/smithy building used by Mackays of Cambridge Limited from 1912 to 2026.

Previously owned by local ironworker J T Alsop from c1890.

Site was solely retail after the engineering departments moved to Cherry Hinton in 1998 until January 2026 when Mackays moved to new premises.
The site is expected to be redeveloped and become part of the Anglia Ruskin University campus.


Further Reading and References:-
Petty, Mike. 'Memory Lane Cambridge'. Breedon Books Publishing, 1999
Balchin, Nigel and Filby, Peter. 'A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of Cambridgeshire & Peterborough'. AIA, 2001

https://www.mackay.co.uk/about-sealey-tools247.html
https://capturingcambridge.org/the-kite/east-road/84-85-east-road-britannia-works/


Help us improve this entry

The compilers welcome corrections or additional information on all sites.
Any information provided will be verified before appearing on the web site.

Email comments

Contributor :- Robert Mason - 24 August 2022
Copyright :- cc-by-nc-sa 4.0 © Robert Mason