History:-Tannery belonging to John G. Mohun & Son Ltd. Built some time between 1846 and 1888. The site is of interest due to the preservation of its steam engine, built in 1926 by Newton Bean and Mitchell of Bradford. This engine remained in use, driving a 10 foot diameter flywheel linked by 5 ropes to an electrical generator, until the 1970s. The horizontal single cylinder engine ran at 120 rpm on 160 psi steam pressure, non-condensing. The engine is currently (2017) in the Calderdale Industrial Museum.
No previous comments have been made for this entry
Help us improve this entry
The compilers welcome corrections or additional information on all sites.
Any information provided will be verified before appearing on the web site and this may take up to 4 weeks.
Key Words :- tannery horizontal steam engine leather Address :- Roker Lane, Pudsey, West Yorkshire, LS28 8NU Grid Ref :- SE 22612 32253 Co-ordinates :- Lat - 53.786112 , Long - -1.658287 Local Authority :- Leeds Council Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - West Riding Site Condition :- Site redeveloped to residential housing Site Status :- Site demolished or no longer extant Site Dates :- - 1970s
Every effort has been made to correctly attribute the images and other media available on this web site.
If any individual or organisation believes that any image or media is incorrectly credited please
contact us and the media will either be removed or the acknowledgement will be corrected.
Search Engine, Layout and Database
Yorkshire Archaeological & Historical Society, other participating Societies and the compilers of Industrial Heritage Online
make no warranty whatsoever as to the accuracy or completeness of Industrial Heritage Online.
Use of the Industrial Heritage Online website is conditional upon acceptance of the Terms and Conditions
Yorkshire Archaeological & Historical Society, Stringer House, 34 Lupton Street, Hunslet, Leeds, LS10 2QW - Co. Ltd. by Guarantee No. 38346C. Registered Charity No. 224083
Tel: 0113 245 7910 - Email: email@example.com