Industrial Heritage Online

Industrial Heritage Online

Bank Brewery

Description:-
The brewery premises formerly stood in a yard running off Wharf Street, behind the present day Syhiba Restaurant. The brewery buildings have been demolished, but the yard still contains a former beerhouse named the Crown Inn on the right hand side of the entrance

History:-
Founded by Thomas Jerrold of Berden Hall in Essex and Timothy Bentley, late of London and formerly of Northowram, brewer and originator of the Yorkshire stone square system of fermentation. Commenced brewing in 1793, but the partnership with Bentley ceased in 1794, Jerrold continuing alone. The business was trading as Jarrold (sic), King & Co. in 1809, thereafter it was operated by members of the Hainsworth family, in 1886 by Cotton and Wood and finally Bank Brewery Co. in 1894. Parts of the site were later used for mixed industrial use. All has now been demolished.

References:-
H.P. Kendall, The Bache in Warley', Transactions of the Halifax Antiquarian Society (THAS), Halifax, 1927, pp. 64-66 (and map).
P. W. Robinson, 'The Emergence of the Common Brewer in the Halifax District', THAS, Halifax, 1981, pp. 84 and 97.
P. W. Robinson, 'Breweries of Northowram', A History of Northowram Township from 1800, Northowram, 2014, pp.283-294.


No previous comments have been made for this entry

Email comments

Key Words :- brewery
Address :- Grange Place, off Wharf Street, Sowerby Bridge, West Yorkshire
Grid Ref :- SE 06299 23761
Co-ordinates :- Lat - 53.710235 , Long - -1.906047
Local Authority :- Calderdale
Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - West Riding
Site Condition :- Site in alternative industrial use
Site Status :- Site demolished or no longer extant
Site Dates :- 1793 - post 1894