Description:- Five storey tower mill in tarred red brick. Disused at the time of listing (1987) but converted, apparently, for residential use since.
History:-Locally known as Oates' Mill for the last miller. Previously as Gravil's and Priestley's. Steam powered from about 1880. This is the last remaining mill of six known to have been in Thorne. (Whitworth).
References:-Whitworth, A. Tyke towers: Yorkshire's windmills. Landy Publishing, 2002.
No previous comments have been made for this entry
Help us improve this entry
The compilers welcome corrections or additional information on all sites.
Any information provided will be verified before appearing on the web site and this may take up to 4 weeks.
Key Words :- windmill tower mill corn Address :- North Eastern Road, Thorne, South Yorkshire, DN8 4AQ Grid Ref :- SE 68633 13723 Co-ordinates :- Lat - 53.615566 , Long - -0.963983 Local Authority :- Doncaster Metropolitan Borough Council Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - West Riding Site Condition :- Site refurbished to residential housing Site Status :- Listed - Grade II Listing No :- 1151568 Site Dates :- 1815 -
Every effort has been made to correctly attribute the images and other media available on this web site.
If any individual or organisation believes that any image or media is incorrectly credited please
contact us and the media will either be removed or the acknowledgement will be corrected.
Search Engine, Layout and Database
Yorkshire Archaeological & Historical Society, other participating Societies and the compilers of Industrial Heritage Online
make no warranty whatsoever as to the accuracy or completeness of Industrial Heritage Online.
Use of the Industrial Heritage Online website is conditional upon acceptance of the Terms and Conditions
Yorkshire Archaeological & Historical Society, Stringer House, 34 Lupton Street, Hunslet, Leeds, LS10 2QW - Co. Ltd. by Guarantee No. 38346C. Registered Charity No. 224083
Tel: 0113 245 7910 - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org