Industrial Heritage Online

Industrial Heritage Online

Selby Dry Dock

History:-
In the mid 19th century an east-west extension, the Lazy Cut, of the Selby Canal ran parallel to and just south of the River Ouse. At the eastern end of this cut there was a dry dock marked on the OS map of 1845. By 1888 the Lazy Cut still existed together with the then called 'Old Dock'. By 1905 much of the eastern part of the cut had been filled in and a shipbuilding yard built over the site. It seems very likely that this is the dock depicted in a photograph from the YAHS collection of early images from Selby.


No previous comments have been made for this entry

Email comments

Key Words :- dry dock canal shipbuilding
Linked Sites :- ,
Address :- Carr St, Selby, North Yorkshire, YO8 8AW
Grid Ref :- SE 6263 3203
Co-ordinates :- Lat - 53.780841 , Long - -1.051020
Local Authority :- Selby District Council
Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - West Riding
Site Condition :- Site redeveloped to industrial / commercial use