Description:- This is a very long quarry (900m by 100m) open at each end, cut into the natural linear Hawbank Hill (or Haw Park). The beds are so steeply dipping that once the base of each bed had been undermined the rest came tumbling down under gravity. As the hill was worked back as far as it could have been, and as reserves became slowly exhausted, working extended ever eastwards into what became known as Skipton Rock Quarry. No infrastructure remains in Haw bank Quarry as this is the current access route into Skipton Rock.
History:-The Skipton Castle Estate landowners began to exploit Haw Park's limestone c. 1757 when the earl of Thanet's agents realised that money was to be made here, but it remained on a small scale with work largely concentrated in what is now called Skipton Woods, closer to the castle. large-scale work on Haw Park really began c. 1786 with the Leeds and Liverpool Canal Co Ltd taking on the lease but until the Springs Branch canal extension was opened in 1797 little real progress was made as transport costs made it unviable. A tramway was laid from Haw Bank Quarry to carry stone to a level 33m above the east terminus of the Springs Branch at which point it was tipped down chutes to the canal wharf. Trade picked up markedly after 1816 and Haw Bank stepped up operations, In 1835-36 the chutes were replaced by a lower level tramway and incline plane using the continuous-rope system. Chutes were installed on the wharf to load barges direct rather than having to do it by hand as previously. A plan of 1852 showed the extent of the quarry as 15ha in area and a further 5.25ha set aside for future expansion eastwards. By 1836 a tunnel had been cut through the older western section of the quarry to carry the tramway under encroaching spoilheaps. With the coming of the Skipton to Ilkley railway in 1888 a rail spur was laid into the quarry so stone could now be despatched by rail as well as by canal. In 1893 the tramway tunnel was abandoned as a new incline had been built. Gradually work extended into what became Skipton Rock Quarry and by c. 1930 at the latest no work was done in Haw Bank.
References:-Johnson, D. 2010. Limestone industries of the Yorkshire Dales. Stroud: Amberley, pp. 88-92. Johnson, D. 2016. Quarrying in the Yorkshire Pennines. Stroud: Amberley, pp. 25, 66, 68, 92.
No previous comments have been made for this entry
Help us improve this entry
The compilers welcome corrections or additional information on all sites.
Any information provided will be verified before appearing on the web site and this may take up to 4 weeks.
Key Words :- disused limestone quarry Address :- A59, Embsay, Skipton, North Yorkshire, BD23 Grid Ref :- SE 001 526 Co-ordinates :- Lat - 53.969473 , Long - -1.999964 Local Authority :- Craven District Council Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - West Riding Site Condition :- Earthworks only Site Dates :- pre 1757 - c. 1930
Every effort has been made to correctly attribute the images and other media available on this web site.
If any individual or organisation believes that any image or media is incorrectly credited please
contact us and the media will either be removed or the acknowledgement will be corrected.
Search Engine, Layout and Database
Yorkshire Archaeological & Historical Society, other participating Societies and the compilers of Industrial Heritage Online
make no warranty whatsoever as to the accuracy or completeness of Industrial Heritage Online.
Use of the Industrial Heritage Online website is conditional upon acceptance of the Terms and Conditions
Yorkshire Archaeological & Historical Society, Stringer House, 34 Lupton Street, Hunslet, Leeds, LS10 2QW - Co. Ltd. by Guarantee No. 38346C. Registered Charity No. 224083
Tel: 0113 245 7910 - Email: email@example.com