Industrial Heritage Online

Industrial Heritage Online

Saltburn Peir

Description:-
Saltburn Pier. Only part of the pier remains. The first public meeting in connection with this pier was held in November, 1867. The engineer was John Anderson and the contractors for the iron Messrs Cochrane and Grove of the Ormesby Ironworks. The pier was opened in May 1869, and a year later a vertical hoist, also by Anderson, was opened to carry passengers to the sea front. The lift was replaced by the present inclined railway in 1884 (the second of its type in the country). The carriages were operated by water balance tanks, and this system is still used. The pier head has been destroyed on two occasions: once in November, 1874, and a second time almost exactly one hundred years later. The remaining part of the pier has been carefully restored and given a new head; it is once more an attractive feature of the town. The timber deck was renewed in 2001.

References:-
Harrison, J K and Harrison, A. Saltburn by the Sea: early years of a SDR company venture. Ind. Arch. Review Vol. 4 No. 2, 1980.
Harrison, J K and Almond, J K. Industrial archaeology of Cleveland: a guide. Cleveland Industrial Archaeology Society, 1978, p20.
Wilson, S C. The history of Saltburn. Seaside Books, 1983, p68.


No previous comments have been made for this entry

Email comments

Key Words :- sea peir cast wrought iron
Address :- Lower Promanade, Saltburn by the Sea, North Yorkshire, TS12 1HQ
Grid Ref :- NZ 66656 21830
Co-ordinates :- Lat - 54.587280 , Long - -0.970076
Local Authority :- Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council
Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - North Riding
Site Condition :- Site conserved and open to the public
Site Status :- Listed - Grade II*
Site Dates :- 1869 -