Industrial Heritage Online

Industrial Heritage Online

Glasshouses Mill

Description:-
Large complex. Complete with 2 small gasometers.

History:-
Documented as a corn mill in the late 18th / early 19th centuries, in 1812 moved into flax. Bought by the Metcalfes in 1835. Various blocks all dated, the earliest 1840. Converted to hemp spinning and rope making in 1899, local lore has it that the mill provided cordage for the RMS Titanic.
The large iron water wheel, designed by William Fairbairn, installed in 1851, has been transferred to Styal Mill, Quarry Bank Museum, Cheshire.
In 1975 and until very recently the mill was in use for a variety of light industrial and commercial activities. In 2017, permission was granted for conversion to residential use.

References:-
YAHS - Hatcher Card Index. Research funded by the Yorkshire Arts Association 1972.
Hatcher, J. The industrial architecture of Yorkshire. Phillimore, 1985.


No previous comments have been made for this entry

Help us improve this entry

The compilers welcome corrections or additional information on all sites. Any information provided will be verified before appearing on the web site and this may take up to 4 weeks.

Email comments

Key Words :- watermill
Address :- Glasshouses, North Yorkshire, HG3 5QH
Grid Ref :- SE 17200 64400
Co-ordinates :- Lat - 54.075243 , Long - -1.738629
Local Authority :- Harrogate Borough Council
Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - West Riding
Site Condition :- Site in alternative industrial use
Site Status :- Listed - Grade II
Listing No :- 1391973
Site Dates :- 1812 -