Industrial Heritage Online

Industrial Heritage Online

Pocklington Railway Station / Sports Hall

Description:-
Falconer described the Pocklington Station as, a handsome brick-built station with stone dressings and a 5-arch colonnade on frontage. Since the closure of the railway it has been converted into a school sports hall for which purpose the rare overall roof was admirably suited. Hatcher also recorded a level crossing keepers' house.

History:-
Station opened 4th October 1847 by York and North Midland Railway. Designed by G T Andrews. Closed 29th November 1965.

References:-
YAHS - Hatcher Card Index. Research funded by the Yorkshire Arts Association 1972.
Hatcher, J. The industrial architecture of Yorkshire. Phillimore, 1985.
Falconer, K. Guide to England's industrial heritage. Batsford, 1980.
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/p/pocklington/
http://pocklingtonhistory.com/archives/transport/railway/station/index.php


No previous comments have been made for this entry

Email comments

Key Words :- railway station sports hall
Address :- Railway Street, Pocklington, East Yorkshire, YO42 2SQ
Grid Ref :- SE 80209 48778
Co-ordinates :- Lat - 53.928928 , Long - -0.779936
Local Authority :- East Riding of Yorkshire Council
Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - East Riding
Site Condition :- Site refurbished to industrial / commercial use
Site Status :- Listed - Grade II
Listing No :- 1162018
Site Dates :- 1847 -