Industrial Heritage Online

Industrial Heritage Online

Cronkley Bridge

Description:-
Built initially as an access bridge to Cronkley Farm the bridge had a 2.9m wide timber deck with lightweight wrought iron handrails lining each side. The timber deck was supported by twin 16 inch x 6 inch RSJs which had Leeds Steel Work rolling marks; it would therefore seem reasonable to conclude that it was built in 1896 at the same time as the first Holwick Head Bridge which was dated from an item in the Teesdale Mercury. It had three spans of 12.5m 13.7m and 7.2m. with a light metal trestle supporting the two long spans whilst a masonry pier provided the other support. The bridge was rebuilt in 2001 retaining the original 16 inch x 6 inch RSJs but they were now set 1m apart supporting the centre of the deck whilst new 406 x 178 (54 kg/m) UBs were provided on either side. It still has a timber deck but the handrails are tubular. A new masonry-clad pier was built to replace the existing lightweight trestle.

References:-
Morris C H. 2008 Tees Bridge Watch 1998-2007. Cleveland Industrial Archaeologist No 32


No previous comments have been made for this entry

Email comments

Key Words :- river tees bridge
Linked Sites :- ,
Address :- Forest in Teesdale, Barnard Castle, Durham, DL12 0EW
Grid Ref :- NY 8621 2936
Co-ordinates :- Lat - 54.659138 , Long - -2.215278
Local Authority :- Teesdale District Council
Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - North Riding
Site Condition :- Operational site, in use for original purpose
Site Status :- Site extant - Protected status unknown