Description and History of Site:-
Erected on the Shugden Head estate, the site comprised the brewery, proprietor's house, brewery outbuilding containing office and stables, and a barn. All are now divided up into several dwellings. Erected about 1891 for Daniel Fielding, farmer and brewer who already ran a brewery business at Bradshaw Row. Joined by his two sons, Eli and Sam Balme Fielding, several tied houses were acquired from 1862 onwards and the new brewery premises were to supply this small estate. After 1945 the business was continued by Sam's three sons assisted by their sister Kathleen who ran the office side. During 1961 negotiations were completed with Samuel Webster and Sons Ltd. who purchased their nineteen tied properties. The brewery buildings remained in the Fielding family ownership until the death, aged eighty eight of Kathleen Fielding during 1986. Soon afterwards the contents and brewery were sold and the buildings converted into apartments.
Further Reading and References:-P.W.Robinson, Breweries of Northowram', A History of Northowram Township from 1800, Northowram, 2014, pp.306-307.
Help us improve this entry
The compilers welcome corrections or additional information on all sites.
Any information provided will be verified before appearing on the web site.
Email comments
Key Words :- brewery
Viewing the Site :- No public access. Can be viewed from Green Lane.
Address :- Green Lane, Halifax, West Yorkshire, BD13 1LS
Grid Ref :- SE 08568 31010
Co-ordinates :- Lat 53.775357 , Long -1.871473
Local Authority :- City of Bradford
Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - West Riding
Site Status :- Site extant - Protected status unknown
Site Condition :- Site refurbished to residential housing
Site Dates :- 1891 - 1961
Record Date :- 8 August 2016
Copyright :- cc-by-nc-sa 4.0 © Peter Robinson
Grid Ref :- SE 08568 31010
Co-ordinates :- Lat 53.775357 , Long -1.871473
Local Authority :- City of Bradford
Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - West Riding
Site Status :- Site extant - Protected status unknown
Site Condition :- Site refurbished to residential housing
Site Dates :- 1891 - 1961
Record Date :- 8 August 2016
Copyright :- cc-by-nc-sa 4.0 © Peter Robinson