Industrial History Online

Industrial History Online

Thwaite Mills

Description and History of Site:-
Putty Mill, preserved and converted to a working museum. Used to be a private wharf on Aire & Calder Navigation. Originally a corn mill. The red brick buildings of this water-driven milling complex date from 1823-5 when an oil seed crushing and corn mill was established on the site of an earlier mill. The mills were re-equipped in the 1870s to crush flint and latterly ground chalk for the manufacture of putty. The two iron breast shot waterwheels date from the late 19th century being 17 ft diameter by 18 ft wide and 19 ft 6 in by 9 ft respectively. Until recently they drove a variety of machinery including edge runners and pumps. Besides the main mill building there is a machine shop, stabling, offices and a drying floor ( all grade11 listed separately)


Further Reading and References:-
A Brief Guide to the Industrial Heritage of West Yorkshire W J Thompson Ed AIA 1989

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/museumsandgalleries/Pages/Thwaite-Mills-Watermill.aspx


Help us improve this entry

The compilers welcome corrections or additional information on all sites.
Any information provided will be verified before appearing on the web site.

Email comments

Key Words :- putty mill museum

Viewing the Site :- Open to the public

Linked Sites :-

Address :- Thwaite Lane, Thwaite, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS10 1RP
Grid Ref :- SE 32780 31219
Co-ordinates :- Lat 53.776280 , Long -1.504076
Local Authority :- Leeds Council
Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - West Riding
Site Status :- Listed - Grade II
Historic England List No - 1313492.,
Site Condition :- Site conserved and open to the public
Site Dates :- 1825 -
Contributor :- Nick Nelson - 5 May 2015

Copyright :- cc-by-nc-sa 4.0 © Nick Nelson