Industrial History Online

Industrial History Online

Rippon House

Description and History of Site:-
Car showroom for Rippon Bros, on the corner of Westgate and Wellington Street, with vehicle repair and service workshops to the rear. Plate glass display windows at front (all boarded up in 2010). Named Rippon House. Showroom and Office Block fronting Westgate of 3 storeys, workshop to rear single storey. It replaced the Rippon Bros branch at 73 Albion Street Leeds. Rippon Bros moved to Roseville Road in 1971. Built in 1963. It replaced the Rippon Bros branch at 73 Albion Street, in central Leeds, near the Leeds Club, when the area was redeveloped. Rippon Bros moved to Roseville Road in 1971 and subsequently Rippon House had other occupants.
In January 2010 the building was empty and boarded up, awaiting a new use or redevelopment. It was demolished circa 25 May 2016.


Further Reading and References:-
Walker, N. A-Z of British coachbuilders 1919-1960 and the development of styles & techniques. Revised ed. Herridge & Sons, 2007.
Wood, J. Rippon Bros: a coachbuilder of renown. Hinchliffe and Sleigh, Dobroyd Mills, Jackson Bridge, 2012.


Help us improve this entry

The compilers welcome corrections or additional information on all sites.
Any information provided will be verified before appearing on the web site.

Email comments

Key Words :- cars rolls royce bentley showroom coachbuilders repairs retailer

Linked Sites :-
Rippon Bros / The Royal British Legion

Address :- Westgate, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS1 4ND
Grid Ref :- SE 29163 33562
Co-ordinates :- Lat 53.797552 , Long -1.558739
Local Authority :- Leeds Council
Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - West Riding
Site Status :- Site demolished or no longer extant
Site Condition :- Site cleared - no above ground remains visible
Site Dates :- 1963 - 2016
Contributor :- Robert Vickers - 10 July 2014

Copyright :- cc-by-nc-sa 4.0 © Robert Vickers