Description and History of Site:-
Stone and slate. 2 storeys and loft. Kneelers. Large exterior wheel. Stone extension EW 1882. Semi circular relieving arches over doorways. Water course now dry. Brick late 19c house granary over stable and cart sheds. Remains of waterwheel extant in 2021. The mill's water supply has evidence of past water management in which Sorrow Beck was diverted over a considerable distance, the original course of the beck becoming known as Old Beck. There are remains of the weir which maintained the water level to the leat.
Further Reading and References:-YAS - Hatcher Card Index. Research funded by the Yorkshire Arts Association 1972.
Hatcher, J. The industrial architecture of Yorkshire. Phillimore, 1985.
Help us improve this entry
The compilers welcome corrections or additional information on all sites.
Any information provided will be verified before appearing on the web site.