Industrial Heritage Online

Industrial Heritage Online

Brighouse Old Canal Wharf

Description:-
Derelict or little used piece of land lying between Mill Royd Lane and the canal. An entrance wall to the east side of the former wet dock and the widened section of cut parallel with the stone wharf can be discerned from the towpath opposite.
Smeaton's original cut at Brighouse left the river at the site of the present Brighouse lower lock and returned a short distance above Brighouse Upper Mill weir and Rastrick Bridge near SE 144 226. The first wharf was located at approximately SE 146 226 and once included a short wet dock at right angles to the main cut. From at least 1778 the former warehouse of Luke Howorth at Brighouse (location unknown) was rented by the Company for Navigation purposes. In 1780 the Brighouse cut was extended upstream to approximately SE 139 228 and in the same year Howorth's warehouse was purchased by the Navigation Company. On a part of the canal wharf facing Huddersfield Road, three lime kilns were erected prior to 1850. These were subsequently removed and an electricity sub-station erected for the Brighouse Corporation dated 1909 which still stands.


No previous comments have been made for this entry

Email comments

Key Words :- canal river navigation lime kiln electricty distribution wharf
Linked Sites :-
Address :- Mill Royd Street, Brighouse, West Yorkshire, HD6 1HA
Grid Ref :- SE 14650 22685
Co-ordinates :- Lat - 53.700398 , Long - -1.779579
Local Authority :- Calderdale Council
Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - West Riding
Site Condition :- Site cleared - no above ground remains visible
Site Status :- Site demolished or no longer extant
Site Dates :- c1764 - Early C20
Contributor :- cc-by-nc-sa 4.0 © Peter Robinson - 8 August 2016