Industrial Heritage Online

Industrial Heritage Online

Wool Warehouse, 49 Church Street, Halifax

Description:-
Compact, triangular shaped warehouse building with striking architectural decoration; one of several impressive warehouses which formerly clustered around the entrance to Halifax station and close to its goods yard. The building is presently (2018) threatened with demolition.

History:-
Wool warehouse, the only survivor of three erected in Square Road to the designs of Halifax architect John Hogg. The site is triangular and originally comprised two separate warehouses at the junction of Square Road and Church Street, one facing each street. The building was erected for Isaac Crossley a woolstapler, and partner of John Crossley at the nearby warehouse at 27 Square Road (WYK750); thereafter Thomas Taylor & Son, woolstaplers, 1887; Great Central Railway Co. goods office and Thompson McKay & Co. Ltd, general carriers, 1905; J.C. Birch & Co., wool merchants, 1936. More recently the building was occupied by motor parts distributors Partco, and latterly as an annexe and bar associated with the Imperial Crown Hotel. It presently stands empty.


No previous comments have been made for this entry

Email comments

Key Words :- textiles wool warehouse
Address :- Square Road, Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX1 1QG
Grid Ref :- SE 09667 25061
Co-ordinates :- Lat - 53.721868 , Long - -1.854981
Local Authority :- Calderdale Council
Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - West Riding
Site Condition :- Site refurbished to industrial / commercial use
Site Status :- Site extant - Protected status unknown
Site Dates :- 1864 -