Industrial Heritage Online

Industrial Heritage Online

Cutlers Hall

Description:-
On Church Street, opposite Sheffield Cathedral, the Hall has a Grecian exterior in Derbyshire sandstone ashlar, with giant Corinthian columns. The Cutlers' Company coat of arms are prominent above the front. ,

History:-
This is the third Cutlers Hall on the site. It was built in 1832 to the design of Samuel Worth and Benjamin Broomhead Taylor and was extended in 1867 and 1882 when the impressive banqueting halls were built. It is the headquarters of the Cutlers Company formed in 1624 to regulate apprenticeship production quality and makers marks in the cutlery industry. The company lost many of its statutory functions in 1814 but still has the right to grant marks for metal goods to local firms. Today membership is also open to people in steel making engineering and tool manufacture unlike the London livery companies it does not admit other people. In the 21st century the Cutlers Company is mainly concerned with promoting and representing Sheffield Industry. The name of Sheffield is registered in 23 countries and use of the mark Made in Sheffield is controlled by the company. The Hall has a collection of silver and archives viewable by appointment. Currently (2016) it is used for the city's civic and commercial events and private events and functions.

References:-
Bayliss, D (ed). A guide to the industrial history of South Yorkshire. Association for Industrial Archaeology, 1995, entry G01.rnHarman, R and Minnis, J. Sheffield. Pevsner architectural guides. Yale University Press, 2004.


No previous comments have been made for this entry

Email comments

Key Words :- cutlery silverware cutlers hallamshire
Address :- 7 - 15 Church Street, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S1 1HG
Grid Ref :- SK 35376 87402
Co-ordinates :- Lat - 53.382288 , Long - -1.469637
Local Authority :- Sheffield City Council
Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - West Riding
Site Condition :- Operational site, in use for original purpose
Site Status :- Listed - Grade II*
Listing No :- 1247108
Site Dates :- 1832 -