Industrial Heritage Online

Industrial Heritage Online

Linton Hydro Electric Power Station

The remains of the cement/concrete power house remained in the 1970s

The weir was built in 1768-9 as part of a scheme to improve water transport between York, Boroughbridge and Ripon. Before construction of the weirs here (and another at Naburn) the river at York was tidal. Extensive repairs were required in 1783 due to the poor initial design.

In the 1920s a successful effort was made to harness the power of the weir for the generation of electricity. The remains of a large (for the time) turbine house from this era still stands (2016) on what is now an island off the north bank of the Ouse, between the lock and the main weir. Electricity from the turbines and generators was sent to power the factories and mills of York. The Linton hydropower scheme became unprofitable (due to the development of the National Grid and large, efficient, centralised electricity generation) and was abandoned in the early 1960s.

The construction of a modern 100kW hydro-electric station using the archimedean screw principle was installed at Linton Lock in 2012, as a pilot scheme. Plans for a bigger plant of 280kW are currently (2016) well advanced.

Hatcher J, The Industrial Architecture of Yorkshire, Phillimore, 1985.

No previous comments have been made for this entry

Email comments

Key Words :- hydro electric power station
Address :- Linton on Ouse, Linton on Ouse, North Yorkshire, YO30 2AZ
Grid Ref :- SE 49946 60054
Co-ordinates :- Lat - 54.034061 , Long - -1.238926
Local Authority :- Hambleton District Council
Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - North Riding
Site Condition :- Site disused - but otherwise substantially intact
Site Status :- Site extant - Protected status unknown