Description:- The brewery was still being shown on the OS map of 1847, with the North Midland railway station to the immediate south. By the time of the OS 1890 survey, the brewery had been demolished, and by 1906 the rebuilt Midland Goods station occupied the site. The station finally closed in 1976. Now the Crown Point retail park.
History:-"This was the second oldest common brewery in Leeds, being founded in 1763. In the Hunslet rate assessments for that year the house and brewery were rated at £20. Thomas Arthington died in 1794 and the business was taken over by his son James. It was always known by the family name so that in the rate book of 1791 it was described as rated at £100, with Thomas as owner occupier but by 1823 under R. Arthington it was rated at £26.10.0 which suggests that the rating valuation changed rather than that the brewery expanded and then declined. Robert inherited the brewery in 1827 and whilst the Quakers had embraced temperance from the start they had always accepted beer from Arthington for their refreshment until, following a powerful sermon on the evils of all forms of alcohol, they stove in the cask and poured it down the drain. Robert went home and closed the brewery down and in the end the site was bought by the Midland Railway when they extended the station. The brewery was closed in 1850 and the family fortunes used in the Indian mission field. The Midland Railway came to Hunslet in 1839 - 40 and an imposing terminal was built which lasted over forty years. In 1888 the station was rebuilt by Nicholson of South Brooke Street at a cost of £17,000 and later formed the main goods depot for the industrial traffic of Leeds.". E J Connell, 1975.
Key Words :- brewery railway goods station Address :- Junction Street, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS10 1ET Grid Ref :- SE 30408 32678 Co-ordinates :- Lat - 53.789536 , Long - -1.539925 Local Authority :- Leeds Council Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - West Riding Site Condition :- Site redeveloped to industrial / commercial use Site Status :- Site demolished or no longer extant Site Dates :- 1763 - 1850
Every effort has been made to correctly attribute the images and other media available on this web site.
If any individual or organisation believes that any image or media is incorrectly credited please
contact us and the media will either be removed or the acknowledgement will be corrected.
Search Engine, Layout and Database
Yorkshire Archaeological & Historical Society, other participating Societies and the compilers of Industrial Heritage Online
make no warranty whatsoever as to the accuracy or completeness of Industrial Heritage Online.
Use of the Industrial Heritage Online website is conditional upon acceptance of the Terms and Conditions
Yorkshire Archaeological & Historical Society, Stringer House, 34 Lupton Street, Hunslet, Leeds, LS10 2QW - Co. Ltd. by Guarantee No. 38346C. Registered Charity No. 224083
Tel: 0113 245 7910 - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org