Industrial Heritage Online

Industrial Heritage Online

Ulshaw Old Mill

Description:-
Hatcher (1974) noted: Mainly rubble stone. Huge stone-lined race not much else. Very wide race with twin semi-circular headed arches from race so could it possibly have had two wheels. Elaborate and ancient dam just below Ulshaw Bridge related to the mill.

History:-
Rebuilt 1655 by Francis Watson (gentleman) of Middleham Rebuilt mill had 3 times the capacity of the old mill and ground flour for Middleham. Original mill served depopulated village near Ulshaw Bridge. Also Known as Danby High Mill. Only the derelict wheel-house remains (2017).

References:-
YAHS - Hatcher Card Index. Research funded by the Yorkshire Arts Association 1972
Hatcher, J. The industrial architecture of Yorkshire. Phillimore, 1985.


No previous comments have been made for this entry

Email comments

Key Words :- corn watermill
Linked Sites :-
Address :- Ulshaw, Leyburn, North Yorkshire, DL8 4PU
Grid Ref :- SE 14808 87194
Co-ordinates :- Lat - 54.280175 , Long - -1.774072
Local Authority :- Richmondshire District Council
Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - North Riding
Site Condition :- Site derelict - some buildings remaining
Site Status :- Site extant - Protected status unknown
Site Dates :- 1655 -

No Documents, Images or Media files have been added for this site