Industrial Heritage Online

Industrial Heritage Online

Darley Mill

Description:-
Excellent building of 3 storeys and 6 bays. All of one conception. Door at 3. Six sliding sashes of large vertical rectangles. Stone surrounds, sills flush. Stone and slab construction.

History:-
Reportedly was the site of the original manorial mill. Last rebuilt post 1780 (documentary evidence from 1820 "rebuilt recently"). Bought by Nathan and Amos Bake c1805 from Henry Clint and sold to Ingilby family in 1837. Ceased milling corn in the 1960s.

Until recently operated as a mill shop and tea room, currently (2017) seeking consent for conversion to residential use.

References:-
YAHS - Hatcher Card Index. Research funded by the Yorkshire Arts Association 1972.
Hatcher, J. The industrial architecture of Yorkshire. Phillimore, 1985.


No previous comments have been made for this entry

Email comments

Key Words :- corn mill
Address :- B6451, Darley, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3 2QQ
Grid Ref :- SE 19356 59727
Co-ordinates :- Lat - 54.033170 , Long - -1.705976
Local Authority :- Harrogate Borough Council
Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - West Riding
Site Condition :- Site refurbished to residential housing
Site Status :- Listed - Grade II
Listing No :- 1251391