Industrial Heritage Online

Industrial Heritage Online

Stanghow Ironstone Mine

Description:-
The 126 ft (38.4 m) shafts were sunk in 1871 by the Stanghow Ironstone Co. There was no production from 1888 to 1892. The mine was then taken over by Cochrane Iron Co Ltd who sent the ironstone to their Ormesby Ironworks. The mine was abandoned in 1928. Also called Margrove Park or Magra.
The brick shaft top still has the original ventilation furnace stack in place crowned by a pulley wheel. Now a caravan park.

References:-
Tuffs, P. Catalogue of Cleveland ironstone mines. P Tuffs, 1996, p 39.


No previous comments have been made for this entry

Email comments

Key Words :- ironstone mine
Address :- Margrove Road, Margrove Park, Skelton, North Yorkshire, TS12 3BY
Grid Ref :- NZ 65400 15600
Co-ordinates :- Lat - 54.531464 , Long - -0.990891
Local Authority :- Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council
Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - West Riding
Site Condition :- Site refurbished to industrial / commercial use
Site Status :- Site extant - Protected status unknown
Site Dates :- 1871 - 1928