Industrial Heritage Online

Industrial Heritage Online

Boroughbridge Railway Station

Description:-
Brick, uninspired. No ceremonial entrance as on Hudson's lines so entrance not obvious. Large slightly cambered-headed windows right along facade. Single storey slate roof. (Hatcher, 1973). .

History:-
Opened in 1875 by North Eastern Railway when the line from Harrogate through Knaresborough was extended to Boroughbridge to link to the existing line to from Pilmoor, built by the East & West Yorkshire Junction Railway in 1847. Consequently, the E&WYJR's passenger station of 1847, a little to the east of the new station, was closed to passengers in 1875. The main 1875 station building appears to have been still standing in around 2008, but it was subsequently demolished.

References:-
YAHS - Hatcher Card Index. Research funded by the Yorkshire Arts Association 1972.
Hatcher, J. The industrial architecture of Yorkshire. Phillimore, 1985.


No previous comments have been made for this entry

Email comments

Key Words :- railway station
Address :- Market Hill, Boroughbridge, North Yorkshire, YO51 9BU
Grid Ref :- SE 39420 67254
Co-ordinates :- Lat - 54.099677 , Long - -1.398690
Local Authority :- Harrogate Borough Council
Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - North Riding
Site Condition :- Site condition unknown
Site Status :- Site demolished or no longer extant
Site Dates :- 1847 -