Industrial Heritage Online

Industrial Heritage Online

Thomas Street wheelwrights

Description:-
Plain building with a narrow frontage to Thomas Street carrying a date stone 1870 and the initials of Henry Wadsworth on a stone lintel. Now incorporated into the Orange Box building.

History:-
The site on which the premises stand was used as a glazier's shop in 1826, subsequently it became a wheelwright's shop. In 1845, John Swaine, wheelwright is listed in Thomas Street, and in 1853 George Swaine and also William Harger in the same trade. The property appears to have been first occupied by Henry Wadsworth in 1870 when various improvements were carried out, replacing a jumble of buildings with a purpose-built shed, warehouse, joiners and smith's shop, all located around an L shaped plot which ran behind adjoining wool warehouses (qv). Wadsworth was a master wheelwright and cartwright who, along with his eldest son Robert, expanded the business to include the building of street cleansing machines and sanitary tumbler carts, also acting as contractors to the railway industry. By 1898 the firm was said to have business connections with over 2,000 Corporations and District Councils. By 1905 additional premises had been secured at Roils Head Road, Highroad Well, Halifax. With the death of Robert Wadsworth in 1922 the firm seems to have come to an end, the Thomas Street premises being occupied for a short time by Leach and Dawson for the manufacture of ice cream, before being turned over for use as a warehouse associated with the Piece Hall fish, fruit and vegetable market. During 2012 the building became incorporated into the Orange Box youth education centre.

References:-
D. Glover, item in the Halifax Courier 18 February 2012.


No previous comments have been made for this entry

Email comments

Key Words :- glazier's shop cartwright's shop street cleansing sanitary tumbler cart manufacture ice cream manufacture fruit and vegetable merchants
Address :- Thomas Street, Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX1 1PR
Grid Ref :- SE 09485 25038
Co-ordinates :- Lat - 53.721665 , Long - -1.857739
Local Authority :- Calderdale Council
Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - West Riding
Site Condition :- Site refurbished to industrial / commercial use
Site Status :- Site extant - Protected status unknown
Site Dates :- 1870 -