Industrial Heritage Online

Industrial Heritage Online

Sowerby Bridge Wharf, Warehouse with wet dock (No. 4)

Description:-
3 storey canal warehouse with entry to wet dock on north side. A number of single storey warehouses also survive to the south and east of the three storey block, now converted into workshops.

History:-
Plans for a new warehouse were accepted in January 1788, with most of the work having been completed by June 1789. The building was originally intended for use by the expanding corn trade and was equipped with a wet dock enabling cargoes to be unloaded under cover. It soon became known as the Corn Warehouse, though an alternative name was that of the Low Warehouse; this may indicate that it was this warehouse which was raised in height during 1824 (see also warehouse 1 & 2) . The grade II* listing is merited by the quality and rarity of its intact wet dock which continues in daily use by Shire Cruisers for repair work on modern canal boats.

References:-
Minutes of the Committee of the Calder & Hebble Navigation Company.rnRating valuations of 1804 and 1838.rnListed building description


No previous comments have been made for this entry

Email comments

Key Words :- canal river navigation
Address :- Wharf Street, Sowerby Bridge, West Yorkshire, HX6 2AF
Grid Ref :- SE 06532 23713
Co-ordinates :- Lat - 53.709801 , Long - -1.902517
Local Authority :- Calderdale
Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - West Riding
Site Condition :- Site refurbished to industrial / commercial use
Site Status :- Listed - Grade II*
Listing No :- 1313744
Site Dates :- 1789 -