Industrial Heritage Online

Industrial Heritage Online

Sowerby Bridge Wharf, Warehouse Nos. 1 and 2

Description:-
Two, three storey warehouses built in an L shape around the south and west end of the Calder & Hebble Navigation wharf

History:-
Warehouse number one appears to occupy the site originally occupied by Causey warehouse, the first warehouse to be erected at the Sowerby Bridge Wharf when it was completed in 1770. Substantial alterations were made at different times, though it is not clear that all related to Causey Warehouse; in 1824 it was ordered that the roof of the warehouse at Sowerby Bridge be raised (but see also the entry for warehouse with wet dock); during 1825 it was minuted that the Rochdale Canal Company were to carry out some alterations to warehouses at the wharf; whilst in October 1837 an order was issued that the warehouse (at Sowerby Bridge) be lengthened northwards to the extent of the basin to facilitate the unloading of vessels under cover equally with that of the Rochdale Company, and that the roof over the basin be also extended downwards in conformity with the plan exhibited by Mr Bull for the better accommodation of the corn trade . An 1838 plan shows the form of the warehouses at that time conformed to that of the present buildings, whereas the 1850 Ordnance Survey suggests that a large portion of the basin was covered, perhaps by the canopy that was referred to in the minutes of late 1837. The present warehouses 1 & 2 bear no resemblance to other Calder and Hebble Navigation Company warehouses erected prior to 1800 and may have been substantially or completely rebuilt as part of the enlargement scheme of 1837, now minus the the later canopy.

References:-
Minutes of the Committee of the Calder & Hebble Navigation Company 1768-1828.rnSkircoat Township Plan dated 1838.rnFirst Edition Ordnance Survey map, surveyed 1848-50.


No previous comments have been made for this entry

Email comments

Key Words :- canal river navigation
Address :- Wharf Street, Sowerby Bridge, West Yorkshire, HX6 2AG
Grid Ref :- SE 06445 23690
Co-ordinates :- Lat - 53.709595 , Long - -1.903836
Local Authority :- Calderdale
Pre 1974 County :- Yorkshire - West Riding
Site Condition :- Site refurbished to industrial / commercial use
Site Status :- Listed - Grade II
Listing No :- 1366092
Site Dates :- pre 1850 -